Thursday 19 March 2015

Reflection 5: Viewpoint on Carbon 3D printer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UpH1zhUQY0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Carbon 3D is the world's first carbon fiber 3D printer. I saw this video in class an I was intrigued about it's workings. I went back home and saw the video to understand it better. I found out that the machine picks up the liquid in a certain shape and a laser light is shone across the layer of the liquid. The laser removes the unwanted parts of the liquid and makes the other parts stay, which causes it to cool and become a solid. That's all I have been able to find out about the mechanism.

But what intrigued me was the purpose of this invention. Obviously this will be able to print small objects. But as I indicated in my first blog, I am an ardent follower of F1. The chassis of an F1 car is also made of carbon fibre. This made me ponder if someday, an F1 car can be built by a larger sized Carbon 3D printer as it would make the production of the car much faster.

Cost wise, this innovation is obviously very expensive because, firstly, the material for the liquid would be expensive. Secondly, the cost to keep heating the liquid, to make it stay as liquid, would also be a recurring cost. So as of now, it might be a very new and innovative creation but personally, it might be too expensive to run this for small uses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment